You think you’re confused…
As Social Media Week London 2017 drew to a close one thing was clear…we’re not clear at all! This isn’t a bad thing though…I promise!
One rule has never fit all for businesses using social media. As the industry matures there’s a tendency for platforms, publishers and marketers to want to provide a quick answer, a set of rules that all can abide by, to encourage people to adopt this form of marketing.
In my opinion that’s never going to work, and that’s OK.
Here are just some of the opposing views we’ve come across…
- Be more human vs. introduce Chabot’s
- Use data to plan your social content vs. don’t create content for algorithms, create content that’s true to your brand
- Deploy short-form video vs. long-form still works
- Cool new paid ad types vs. the advertising boycott is the biggest we’ve ever seen
- Target your message via advertising vs. people hate ads it disrupts their feed
- Shorter messages are best vs. don’t be dull, create compelling content
- Brand awareness is at the top of the buying funnel vs. inspiration comes first
- Test and learn vs. learnings wont still apply next month
You get the idea.
One thing that isn’t up for debate is the power of social media. The reach, the relevance, the innovation and relentless reinvention of the wheel it provides you with to deliver your messages to your consumer. In a fast-paced evolving industry comes a need to keep up but also an opportunity to communicate in new and exciting ways.
So, don’t be put off from social media marketing or feel you’re being left behind, just share the responsibility of knowing how to navigate through the death of knowledge and advice that’s being shared. You don’t need to make this your day job when it’s already someone else’s!